The Honest Shake
Everyone’s into core strengthening and muscle toning these days. That calls for an infinite amount of home-made protein shakes shimmied on Instagram, hashtag postworkout fitness.
Despite the bloom of self-proclaimed Jillian Michaels out there ( the trainer from Biggest Loser … I had to Google that ), posting their shakes as the new revolutionary fat blaster … you’ll find many of them are still hiding sugars and not prepping their ingredients to get the maximum out of them. Like activating nuts, chia seeds and using fresh coconut water. Anyone using the boxed stuff should be an immediate delete from your following.
Here’s an easy protein shake that’s easily digested, low in natural sugars and no ridiculous fats added. We assume that most, preferably all ingredients you will use are organic.
// The Honest Shake //
- small handful (think palm of hand) of activated almonds ( activate by placing in a bowl of mineral water in the fridge, submerged for 6 hours or overnight) / fibre, protein, antioxidants
- small handful of activated walnuts ( same process as above ) / amino acids
- 1/2 frozen banana / complex carbs, fibre, potassium
- handful frozen blueberries / reduces inflammation, vitamin C, antioxidants
- 1 scoop Sunwarrior Raw Protein blend Vanilla flavour / the vegan protein hit - no rice protein in this blend
- 1 teaspoon maca powder / helps nourish adrenal glands, may reduce muscle soreness, improves stamina - we used Organic Burst , our little present from The SCB class many lunges ago
- 1 teaspoon flaxseed / omega 3 fats
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon / improves digestion, relieves muscle soreness
- 1 teaspoon matcha powder / boosts metabolism, helps burn fat (yes, yes it does!), antioxidants, detoxifies
- 1 scoop super greens / detoxes, stablises energy levels, alkalines body
- 1/2 cup coconut rice milk / best milk alternative
- 1/2 cup mineral water / H20 is the way to go!
Place liquids first then add banana, blueberries and remaining ingredients. Blend on highest speed till you get a smooth liquid. If it’s too thick for you, add a little more water or milk and whizz.
This is enough for two small glasses or one big serving. Enjoy!
// The Honest Shake //
Nutritional info (whole serving)
approx. 332 cal; 40g carbs, 25g protein; 5g fat, 1g sat fat; 31mg sodium; 13g fibre; 15g sugars; 9% calcium